Skip navigation links
Allergy and Immunology Glossary
Ask the Allergist
Patient's Rights on Health Care Reform
Letters to the Editor
Patient Newsletter
Photo Gallery
Patient Support Organizations
Meetings & Events
Download Resources
Seasonal Allergy News
Find an Allergist
ACAAI > Patients & Public > Resources > Ask the Allergist

Blood Tests for Allergies

Q: My allergist has performed skin tests which have been of some help.  Have you information on the various kinds of blood tests available for possible food allergies?

A: There are two kinds of food allergy blood test.  One is IgE based and reflects the most common allergic reactions. One can choose each food to be tested, shrimp, salmon, orange, peanut, etc.  Another type of food test measures IgG antibodies to foods. This is controversial with unclear clinical significance since people can have these type of positive tests without any clinical problem.

Allergy and Asthma Relief Test

If you have allergies or asthma, use the Allergy and Asthma Relief Self-Test to review your symptoms and see if you need to find relief.

Learn More »

Find an Allergist

Allergists are specialists at treating both allergies and asthma. They can explain how your allergies can affect your asthma and steps you need to take to keep both conditions under control. Find an allergist in your zip code and find relief.

Learn More »